Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Changed background for Abalone Shell

This is the background that I finished today. I believe that it is has more atmosphere than the original and sets a more subdued tone for the shell. I wanted to give the impression that the shell was still on the beach and somewhere near the waters edge. Not sure that is exactly what happened, but it does soften the overall impression of the shell. Also gives the painting a much more finished look. I had decided not to frame this as the canvas does project about 1 1/2" from the wall. My understanding that this gallery wrapped painting is what is being done today and does not need a frame. Therefore, the background for this becomes more important as it is what separates the image from the wall.
Does anyone have any comments on this change?

2 comments:

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

You really got the shine and colors of abalone. Nice!

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

I forgot to weigh in on the change. I prefer the purple background. It 'feels' better. The other is too stark.